Pages

Saturday, February 15, 2014

DIY Madeira Muffins


Madeira cake is a classic English sponge cake. In Victorian England, it is served with Madeira wine and that's what the name of this cake was taken from. Nowadays, it is often served with tea or liqueurs, perfect for breakfast or tea-time treat.

Because I don't have a loaf pan, which the traditional recipe calls for, and I was running out of flour, so I had to cut the recipe into half and the batter somehow fitted well into my 6-muffin tin.  

Ingredients: (for 6 muffins)
- 110 grams all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 75 grams white sugar
- 1 lemon's zest
- 100 grams softened butter
- some milk (I will talk about this in the note section)


Procedures:
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line the muffin tin with liners.
- Step 2: Beat the butter, sugar, and lemon zest until combined then beat in the eggs one at a time until they evenly mixed together.
- Step 3: Sift the flour and baking powder then stir in the egg mixture. Add milk until it formed into a desired soft mixture.
- Step 4: Use an ice-cream scoop or spoon to evenly divided the mixture to the muffin tin. Bake in the middle rack of the oven for about 25-35 minutes or until a skewer/toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out clean.



Note:
- Allow the muffins to cool down before serving. Taste good with strawberry jam.
- When I did this, the mixture was dense because the recipe didn't call for milk. After baking, the muffins is really dry and crumbled inside. The reason could be one of two things: milk or baking soda. Either my baking soda is old or a few tbsp of milk should do the trick to make it moist and soft. Nonetheless, milk is a still great addition to the muffins.
- If you want to do the real cake, just double the recipe, bake this with a loaf pan and lengthen the time of baking.
- This recipe works as a reference; hence, I have no responsibility for any damages that you cause following this.

Other Images:

What do you guys think? Comment down below to let me know your feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment